Our Story

The Urban League emerged from the following agencies which existed to address the problems of Negro citizens in the community. The Richmond Neighborhood Association (1913), the Richmond Welfare League (1914), the Community House of Colored People (1923), the Urban League of Greater Richmond, Inc., Inc. (1923), then the Urban League of Greater Richmond, Inc. (1989). The Urban League of Greater Richmond, Inc. became an affiliate of the National Urban League December 1, 1923 under the name of the Urban League of Greater Richmond, Inc. The agency was supported by membership contributions until 1925, with the development of the Richmond Community Fund (now United Way Services), the Urban League became a chartered member. In 1956, outside pressures forced the Urban League from the Community Chest (now United Way Services). During that time, the Urban League began sponsoring Annual Financial Campaigns to continue rendering services. In 1967, the Urban League was readmitted to the United Givers Fund (now United Way Services). 
 
The Urban League of Greater Richmond, Inc. changed its name in 1989 to reflect that the agency's services extend beyond the City of Richmond into the surrounding counties. During the last 30 years, the Urban League has expanded programs and continues to diligently work towards carrying out the goal of securing equal opportunity for All American Citizens.
 
The success of the Urban League of Greater Richmond is by the variety of programs and services provided to the citizens in the communities. The service area of the Urban League of Greater Richmond covers the City of Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, Chester and Petersburg.